You are not logged in.

falcotron

Professional

• "falcotron" started this thread

Monday, May 17th 2010, 4:34am

Eat your cake (or armor) and have it too*

Selling your armor increases your plunder pay. But it also means you waste a ton of amber on healing every day now that you're everyone's favorite xp cow, and you never get hired as a merc, and you fall behind in xp and stop making diamonds and cash as a gear merchant, and so on. Overall, I think it's a bad trade.

But what if you could get the best of both worlds?

Well, now you can! (Sort of.)

You'll need a partner. Someone you can trust, not just trust not to screw you over, but trust to show up the right time every day, etc. Every day, you sell him your armor at min, do your plunders, buy back your armor and his, wait for him to plunder, and sell his back.

So, no armor during the 2-1/2 hours you spend plundering, but you've still got it for xp hits, DRs, battles, etc.

Of course this isn't free. You have to pay market fees on two min-priced sales every day, and you lose enchantments each time you trade. But is it still a good deal? I think so.

Let's make this concrete, and take the worst case I can think of:
  • You're both level 55, and that's pretty close to the top level in your world.
  • You each just got ice armor in the last DB. (That makes it a tough choice--you're throwing away a lot of DEF from enchantments.)
  • You each have 100 DEF from other sources.
  • You make 120K/day in plunders with armor, but would make 160K without.**
  • Your non-plunder daily revenue is about 50K.***
  • Your daily healing costs are only 5K; as a rough approximation, this will go up proportionately as your DEF goes down, and it'll go up by your full healing cost if you have no armor and become the world's favorite xp cow.

So, here are your choices:
  1. 168K/day, 202 DEF: Keep your ice armor with the 3 MEs and accept the lower plunders.****
  2. 150K/day, 202 DEF: Buy 3 MEs back every day. This will also waste 21d/day.
  3. 170K/day, 181 DEF: Buy 3 SEs back every day.
  4. 194K/day, 160 DEF: No enchantments.*****
  5. 188K/day, 158 DEF: Sell the ice armor, buy a scale armor, buy 1 SE back every day.
  6. 192K/day, 153 DEF: Sell the ice armor, buy a scale armor, no enchantments.
  7. 180K/day, 100 DEF: Go with no armor permanently. This also means no merc hires, falling behind in xp, etc.
I suppose an insane megatixxer might go for #2, but I can't even imagine doing that.

Ignoring that one, all of the other choices are better than the obvious #1 or #7 that everyone's doing. #4 looks like the best choice, but considering that you can probably get diamonds and cash for your ice armor at level 55 (which you won't get in the future), I'd go with #6.

* Do not attempt to actually eat your armor at home. All armor on-screen is consumed by a professional stunt eater on a closed picnic table.

** I have no idea if this last one is realistic for level 55, since I don't have records that far back, but at level 68 it's a bit over 160K vs. a bit under 200K, and that's about the same ratio.

*** 40K/day from wages, plus hauling, battle hauling, the DB amortized over two weeks, merc fees, etc.

**** You'll also save a bit of healing during plunders. But really, this is so minimal that it's barely worth worrying about. Plunders aren't where you take damage in this game, since companions were introduced. At most, it's 3K/day difference, so if you want to call this 168K/day, go ahead.

***** For this option, and #6 below, you can always occasionally buy SEs--on DB day, or when your horde has a close battle with your biggest rivals, or when you've got 3 merc deals lined up, or whatever.
Top accounts for sale: TG1 (or the gear) and AI1
Already sold: HW1/2/3/4 TG1DE

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "falcotron" (May 17th 2010, 6:36am)

falcotron

Professional

Monday, May 17th 2010, 4:44am

The most important assumption there is that level 55 is near the top of your world.

If not--well, a 55 in a world of 68s won't be an xp cow no matter what, and will die just as fast against the top guys with or without armor, won't be giving up any serious advantages (you don't get good merc deals or gear-trading benefits anyway), and, for that matter, wouldn't get much for selling the ice armor now instead of later.

But then if you're a 55 in a world of 68s, you're not going to be at all competitive until you power-level your way closer to the top, no matter what your stats are. I'd just wear the fully-ME'd ice armor for the added advantages in xp hunting and battles and ignore all other considerations.

Redeemer

Intermediate

Thursday, May 20th 2010, 12:18am

For me, as a level 55-58 with stat ratios ranging from 4.8 to 5.0 I usually end my days with 85-115k from plunders+a work shift.

Now I've done this with an Ember Armour (level 40 set item) (W1&W3), a Storm Armour (level 50 set item) (W3), Battle Armour of the Ancestors (level 58 rare) (W1), and Ice Armour (level 60 set item) (W1), all of which were triple master enchanted. Really, I haven't noticed much difference between them all. Oddly, when I upgraded from the level 58 rare in W1 to the Ice Armour my payouts actually increased slightly (from 90-100k daily to 100-115k daily), whereas in W3 when I went from the Ember Armour to the Storm Armour I noticed little to no difference.

I've also tried switching from the Storm armour (level 50) in W3 to
Stomach Armour I (level 13), that made little to no difference on plunder payouts though but I did take more damage, and I might add that it has a very deleterious effect when you go experience hunting after finishing up a day's plunders without realizing you don't have your regular armor on.

Maybe I'm the exception to the rule though, on the lower defense armor's supposedly giving better payouts.
Holy War: W1 EN noble fighter [RO], W6 EN Mr Credit Card, W8 EN Noble [BS]
Tagoria: W1 EN The Redeemer, W3 EN Noble
AI Wars: W1 EN Nobility

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Redeemer" (May 20th 2010, 12:33am)

falcotron

Professional

Thursday, May 20th 2010, 6:51am

They changed the game a long, long time ago so the monsters match the best gear you own, not what you're currently wearing. So what you did with the stomach armor had no effect at all (except to make you take a little more damage).

That's why you have to actually sell the armor.

Hence this trick. Selling your armor to a friend to buy back later is the same as selling it permanently as far as plunders go; the game has no way of knowing you're going to buy it back later.

As for your upgrades, none of them are all that big. For example, going from the BAA to the Ice, if you're level 58 or below, is only 10 difference in your total DEF, and you probably have nearly 200 total, so we're talking about a 5% change or so. Considering how wide the variation is among the monsters (even the same monster--my last two plunders, the opponents had 61 and 109 DEF!), and how indirect the effect of the monsters' DEF is, you'd need a large number of trials, with all else held equal, to detect the difference with any degree of confidence.

In my case, the difference was 229 to 117 DEF in W1DE at level 70, and 222 to 112 in W1EN at level 68. That's nearly a 50% chance, and that definitely is noticeable with just a couple days of plunders.

sabobskia

Unregistered

Wednesday, September 29th 2010, 10:11pm

For the record, this doesn't work anymore, they patched it end march ;)
just to let you newbies know

roandraak

Professional

Monday, October 4th 2010, 5:46pm

Seriously :O I just sold my pet, and al my gear :rolleyes:

No, of course not (that would be not nice (isn't it))...

Your message contains following censored words: stu X( pid :cursing:
World 2 Dutch Server, started 26-5-2011
If you see me on the French or German forum, don't mind my language. I can speak Dutch or English. But I'll try :) Within 3 years I can speak German. French, I'm quitting French (at school)

Thunderwolf

Intermediate

Monday, October 4th 2010, 7:42pm

What would be more stup*d is that this used to work :wacko:
W3 EN > [FW] Fatal Warrior

TGW3EN

W1 NL > Krijgsheer [OvdK] Orde van de Kitsune

TGW1NL

Become my referral and earn premium tickets for tagoria: pm me for link(s).

sabobskia

Unregistered

Tuesday, October 5th 2010, 11:41am

Seriously :O I just sold my pet, and al my gear :rolleyes:

No, of course not (that would be not nice (isn't it))...

Your message contains following censored words: stu X( pid :cursing:

my message?

Yes Thunderwolf, it's a shame indeed