You are not logged in.

falcotron

Professional

• "falcotron" started this thread

Monday, May 17th 2010, 12:53am

warning: do not deal with (new) insecta

EDIT: As iceman pointed out, the player now using the account insecta is not the original insecta, but a recent purchaser. It's the new insecta who did all of this, not the original. The original was always fair and honest in his dealings with me. Since I have no idea who the new insecta is, you might consider this a warning about any high-level account that moves to PB, as it may be the same guy.

EDIT 2: The new insecta is the former TheSleepingGiant, who has a long and public history of screwing people over in merc deals, which is presumably why he didn't want anyone to know his identity. Fortunately for the rest of the people in PB, all of the high-level mercs have learned that you can deal with Supermartin and he'll be straight with you, so they're mostly off people's blacklists.

---

While selling my character, I discovered I could make more money selling off all my gear and then selling the stripped-down character. I took bids for 6 days. During this time, insecta repeatedly offered me less than the top bid on my granite hammer if I'd take it immediately. Needless to say, I turned him down. He then asked the total of all my top bids, and I told him it was $179. He offered $160 if I'd take it immediately. Needless to say, I turned this down as well.

Then, on the last day, just as I was about to sell, another player (who I'll call NI for Not Insecta) approached me, asked what total I was going to get, and offered to give me more than that much in cash, as long as it was under $200, for the character as-is.

NI mentioned that the deal was in partnership with insecta, which raised some flags, but he's a respectable player who I've never had any problems with, so I agreed. And I offered to give it to him for $185, even though the total was $191, as a discount for saving me so much hassle. He asked me to just wait 2 hours for insecta.

After 2 hours, insecta was still not here, and NI had to leave. I waited around, and insecta finally showed up and said he had to wait for NI to come back. Then, when the other player came back, insecta agreed to the deal and said they'd pay later that day. I gave him my PayPal address.

No payment came. The next day, insecta started arguing that he shouldn't have to pay as much as he'd bid. I pointed out that I was already selling for less than they'd bid, and NI chimed in and said they'd already agreed and would pay as agreed. So insecta agreed that they'd pay, but he had to go for 8 hours, and would be back later, and they'd pay then.

8 hours later, NI was back on, and so was I, but insecta was not. However, I later heard from other people that he'd been in the SB 2 hours earlier.

He continued playing games like this for another couple days. Then he told NI they should try to offer less money. At this point, NI told me that he thought insecta was trying to ditch the deal. He was still willing to pay if insecta came through, and was trying to convince him to go along with what he'd agreed to, but he was worried that it wouldn't work, and wanted me to know that he'd re-offer his original bids on some of my gear if insect pulled out.

So I told insecta he had 24 hours to either pay, or cancel the deal.

Nearly 24 hours later, insecta replied, telling me that I should sell it to them for $160. I reminded him that he'd just agreed to live up to the $185 earlier in the same day, and that NI had reaffirmed their agreement.

He replied "[NI] will be back on later, if he accept it then we got to keep out word right. thanks for the e-mail saved the stuff til [NI] come back on okay."

3 hours later, NI was back on, and he sent a PM once again reiterating his acceptance. No response from insecta, even though he was on the SB at the time. So NI wrote to me to tell me that he thought insecta was f-ing about and wasn't going to live up to the deal. I suggested we give him 24 hours, so I sent insecta a PM telling him to either pay me, or tell me and NI that he was pulling out.

About 20 hours later, insecta wrote back: "believe we pulling our offer way to must for it, and we don't want it that badly. don't blame us for the long delay. i was willing to offer you cash right at the begining and you never accept it. so tell the other buyers we're sorry, lots of **CENSORED** when down and i couldn't be online as must i wanted okay."

He then went on to try to blame NI for retracting the bid, which of course I knew wasn't true.

And then he offered me $50 for the granite hammer, knowing that I already had a higher bid.

I really don't know why he did this, but I have three theories:
  • He was deliberately trying to drag this out so all of my other bidders would disappear--including NI, who'd bid higher than him on one piece of gear--and I'd be forced to sell to him.
  • He just likes to screw with people.
  • He's a complete and total idjit and doesn't understand basic concepts like how bidding works or what it means to promise something.
Top accounts for sale: TG1 (or the gear) and AI1
Already sold: HW1/2/3/4 TG1DE

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "falcotron" (May 26th 2010, 8:36am)

iceman

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 18th 2010, 10:02pm

insecta-deal

falco, i will never discuss your experience with insecta. i know you to be a fair, honost and respected player.

i would however like to point out that the person now running insecta is not the insecta we have known for over a year and all loved. insecta's acc has been taken over a while ago. i have suspicions that he is also a multi-account.

to the player insecta, i would like to ask to change his name. i regret to see that this player is slandering the good name of the original insecta. why don't you put on the name of the person who you really are?

falcotron

Professional

Thursday, May 20th 2010, 6:15am

i would however like to point out that the person now running insecta is not the insecta we have known for over a year and all loved. insecta's acc has been taken over a while ago.
Yeah, I knew that. Thanks for mentioning it, and I'll change the thread subject to make it clear. I never had any problems with the original insecta.

I suspect the new insecta is the same guy who, under a previous name, pulled all kinds of dirty tricks with mercing as captain of PB (making a ridiculously high offer to get me to raise my price in the stalls so the other side couldn't hire me at 10d, and then not picking me up; offering me 3d for one battle in exchange for 12 in the next, then telling his other leaders I'd agreed to 6; trying to bargain me down to 2d by claiming gigio had accepted the same, when gigio actually turned it down and got hired by them for 8; trying to bargain me down to 3d by claiming that's all PB had left, then mercjacking me out of the stalls listed for their opponent at 8; etc.). But that's just a guess. I don't actually know who it is.
i have suspicions that he is also a multi-account.
You may be right. But if a small group of real-life friends all just kept moving up the chain as they got new accounts, it would look the same from the outside, and that would be perfectly legit (maybe confusing and annoying, but not against the rules). The only way you could tell the difference would be to track their usage, while only GAS can do. So, I don't want to slander someone with implications that I don't know for a fact to be true.
to the player insecta, i would like to ask to change his name. i regret to see that this player is slandering the good name of the original insecta. why don't you put on the name of the person who you really are?
This is exactly why I always insist that the buyers of my accounts change the name immediately.

But anyway, the real insecta is long gone, and hopefully he doesn't care too much about this game anymore, so it's not affecting him too much. Wherever he is, I wish him well.

Redeemer

Intermediate

Thursday, May 20th 2010, 6:38am

i would however like to point out that the person now running insecta is not the insecta we have known for over a year and all loved. insecta's acc has been taken over a while ago. i have suspicions that he is also a multi-account.

If I remember right, it was because the person that took over their original account didn't change the name and they couldn't change the name on their new account "insecta" to their old account name because of it. Also, they wanted to retain their anonymity for whatever reason.

I have evidence to the contrary of that. When the current owner of insecta's account took it over they sold their original account and transferred ownership of it to someone else in accordance with the rules.

I don't know what happened to their original account after that though, as it seems to have disappeared, and may have in fact since been deleted for all I know.
Holy War: W1 EN noble fighter [RO], W6 EN Mr Credit Card, W8 EN Noble [BS]
Tagoria: W1 EN The Redeemer, W3 EN Noble
AI Wars: W1 EN Nobility

falcotron

Professional

Thursday, May 20th 2010, 7:09am

If I remember right, it was because the person that took over their original account didn't change the name and they couldn't change the name on their new account "insecta" to their old account name because of it.
The person who bought my accounts in two other worlds changed the name of his old account before selling it, to make sure that didn't happen.

Anyway, he could still change it to something different. Other players have done the same thing. When Forge bought a character in a world that already had a Forge, he changed the name to Forge64. For that matter, when you came to a world that already had a Noble, you named yourself Nobility. So, if the new insecta is, say, TheSleepingGiant, but he can't change his name to that because the new owner of his old account refuses the change the name, he could be, say, Sleeping Giant, and people would know who it was.
Also, they wanted to retain their anonymity for whatever reason.
That's probably the real answer. I don't know who the old owner is, but I wouldn't be surprised if he has a history of screwing people over, and wants to escape his own past and take advantage of insecta's clean record.
I have evidence to the contrary of that. When the current owner of insecta's account took it over they sold their original account and transferred ownership of it to someone else in accordance with the rules.
If you know who the current owner of the account is, are you at liberty to tell us?

iceman

Unregistered

Friday, May 21st 2010, 1:10pm

as i have stated, i have suspicions that it's a multi. i want to make clear i don't know this for a fact. but i do believe that i have to follow falco in his way of thinking. those who know who falco is talking about, will see the logic in our way of thinking.

i agree with falco when he says there are ways to show who you are when your first name is unavailable. i've been ice2008, iceman, ice2009,... but everyone has always known who i am. but than again, i have my own way in acting in the SB. huge factor in that.

all the veteran players in Eng w1 know one another. i think all of us have respect for the players left that has been there trough the storms. out of this respect to eachother, i find it to be no more than normal to change the name and don't slander the previous owner with actions such as this. in my opinion it shows little decensy and respect.

falcotron

Professional

Saturday, May 22nd 2010, 1:13pm

all the veteran players in Eng w1 know one another. i think all of us have respect for the players left that has been there trough the storms. out of this respect to eachother, i find it to be no more than normal to change the name and don't slander the previous owner with actions such as this. in my opinion it shows little decensy and respect.
Well, I agree with you there.

The first account transfer I know of in any English-language world of any GAS game was when Profundus* took over a character in Holy-War W2 back in early March 2008. He asked GAS to change the name (you couldn't do it yourself back then), and, while waiting, he wrote to all of the friends, allies, and ordermates of the previous owner to make sure they knew about the change. I thought that was the right way to handle it, so when I took over a character in W1 a couple weeks later, I tried to do the exact same thing as him. And it would be nice if everyone else did the same.

The difference is that Profundus had a great reputation, so if people found out who he was, that could only help him. Someone who has a bad rep that they're trying to escape, that's probably a different story. And I can understand--if you just spent $100 or whatever to escape being yourself, you don't want everyone to know who you are.

Still, I think it would be a lot more respectful to invent a brand-new name that nobody knows, than to try to fool people into believing you're the original, well-respected player.

* I don't think Prof ever played Tagoria, but he was the English supermod for the first few weeks, before Stern. If you were here at the time, you'd remember him from his fractured grammar and excessive smilies, as well as for being one of the best mods in history. If you weren't here at the time, you missed out.

falcotron

Professional

Tuesday, May 25th 2010, 4:46am

Since fake-insecta presumably doesn't have the real insecta's forum account, and doesn't want anyone to know who he actually is, he sent this to me in a PM:

Quoted from "insecta"

very nice posting on forum!!!

if your going to leave the game, just leave!!!
The funny thing is, I wanted to leave, and I had a half-dozen people who between them were willing to buy all my stuff and then buy my character, and I would have left weeks ago. But unfortunately, someone decided to fraudulent outbid all of those people, drag things out for a week and a half, and then renege on payment. And, by that time, some of the bidders had already spent the money they'd set aside to buy my gear, so I had to wait for a couple of them to come up with more money, and find a replacement for another one.

If buggy really wanted me gone, maybe he shouldn't have gone out of his way to screw over half a dozen people in a way that would keep me here for 3 extra weeks.

But then he apparently thought all the other buyers were going to just pull out, and I'd sell to him at half their bids out of desperation. At least that's the impression I got, given that he offered me half my top bid on two of my items if I'd sell to him immediately.

And it might have worked, if it weren't for the fact that, unlike buggy, most of the people who play this game aren't lying scumbags, and they actually bid what they intend to pay.

sabobskia

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 25th 2010, 8:29am

we had this player in world 2, Bombay Sapphire, who quit about 1,5 years ago.
She was very high regarded amongst all (even gave me a tix because my profile said I needed them and wanted to merc for them).
When she quit, she sold her account, and the name changed etc. but since a couple of month she bought back the account.

That's why it is important, no matter if the person has quit, to change the name of an account when you buy it, it can screw the reputation of someone.

Not doing this is just childish...

besides the matter, Good luck selling again :pinch:

GASfart

Beginner

Tuesday, May 25th 2010, 7:37pm

hey sabobskia...arent you that deekhead from w2?
lol :D

sabobskia

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 25th 2010, 11:47pm

concidering I don't know the meaning of 'Deek' I will answer with a "Maybe"

Redeemer

Intermediate

Wednesday, May 26th 2010, 2:49am

If you know who the current owner of the account is, are you at liberty to tell us?
I am now. At their request and with their permission I will now tell you who it is and also will be posting their side of the story.

You've managed to hit the nail on the head falco, it is TheSleepingGiant.

He is not multi-accounting. Back when he bought insecta's account he sold his old account to someone else within two or three days after buying insecta's, and has not logged into his old account since. Doing so would be quite a feat considering he doesn't have the password to the account since it was changed over by the new owner.

And now their side of the story.

Quoted from "TheSleepingGiant"

about the account, ya it got messy, i thinking of getting it and i never outbid on purpose, i saw the price of the granite hammer and just wrote i want it badly and will pay $10 USD more for it.

i wanted to buy it right away but he didn't want to sell it right away so i was not liking that, and then he said be on monday which i did but he never came online which got me more upset. I had to leave on personal business for a couple of days so couldn't pick it up then. Then "NI" and i talked and thought it would be cheaper if we just buy the whole account for $160 and split everything, we thought we had a deal, and then he flipped and said you can have it for $180 but "NI" and i didn't like it because it wasn't worth it.

I have to explain why the prices went up!! plus i really only wanted the granite hammer and was willing to pay 60 euro for it and that was it. But then somebody offered 80 USD so it was worth more, but i didn't want to pay any more than 60 euro. I thought it was a good idea for "NI" and i to offer him 160 but then he turned around and wanted more, so he was in the wrong!!!

to be honest i didn't want anything else from his account other than the granite hammer, and said i didn't want to pay any more than 60 euro once i saw a 80 USD offer was made.

"NI" and i both wrote to falcotron saying no once he said he wanted $185 for it and we only wanted to pay between 140 which was "NI's" offer and 160 which was mine.

that what happen. everything.
Holy War: W1 EN noble fighter [RO], W6 EN Mr Credit Card, W8 EN Noble [BS]
Tagoria: W1 EN The Redeemer, W3 EN Noble
AI Wars: W1 EN Nobility

falcotron

Professional

Wednesday, May 26th 2010, 8:33am

Well, that's an interesting story. Too bad almost none of it is true. In fact, most of it isn't even self-consistent, much less consistent with reality, and even by his own admission he made deals that he reneged on (such as offering $10 more than anyone else for the hammer and then deciding he didn't want to pay even as much as the highest bidder, much less $10 more--that part is true, except that he added the excuse that he was drunk when he made the bid so it didn't count).

He seems to believe that because he made a bid for $160 a week earlier that I'd rejected, his later bid for $185 that I accepted shouldn't count. Even though he agreed, three times, that he'd pay that $185. (I don't know where he got the $180 from.)

And he's also still claiming that NI didn't think the deal was worth it, but the fact is that during the entire week and a half when TSG/insecta kept delaying things, disappearing mysteriously, trying to offer less than he'd already agreed to, pretending not to be there when we could both see him in the SB, etc., NI was ready and willing to pay every single day.

GASfart

Beginner

Wednesday, May 26th 2010, 1:49pm

so sabumskia you are saying that maybe you are a deekhead ?!?

:D

iceman

Unregistered

Wednesday, May 26th 2010, 9:06pm

message from insecta/TSG

seems like there are more than just two versions...

Sender: insecta
Subject: i aren't multi-accountingDate: 26.05.2010 01:23

just
reading some posting on the forum from falcotron!!! i know i should
change my nickname and what happen between me and falcotron should of
kept private!!! ya i agree to paid his for the helm and i didn't jack
the prices up, i saw the price what he wanted and offer 10 dollars
more. i wanted to buy it right away, but he wanted to wait!! he said on
the monday he would be on and i waited and he never showed up. i had
some personal **CENSORED** to do for a couple of days and was unable to
make it online. i talked to zuesthegreat and we thought it would be
cool if we try to buy the account together and split everything for
like 150usd we though we had the deal, and then falcotron reply back
said we should get it for 180 when we had offer 150 only!!! so we said
no because it wasn't worth it. ask zeusthegreat!!!!

about me multi-accuonting that is not true!!!! thesleepinggiant was my
old account and sold it to mordem in kol for 4 tickets if you want the
recepit i can it from paypal if you want it!!!! so i only got one
account which is insecta.

i know i should change my name and probably will after all this
**CENSORED**, so never believe everything til you hear both sides!!!

falcotron

Professional

Thursday, May 27th 2010, 12:54am

seems like there are more than just two versions...
That's the nice thing about being a bald-faced liar; you never have to worry about being consistent with yourself. Was it the hammer he wanted, or the helm? Did he offer $10 over the top bid, or did I ask for $10 over the top bid? Did he offer $160 or $150 for the account? He can't even remember what the truth is supposed to be, but if he keeps adding more exclamation points each time, maybe someone will believe him.

falcotron

Professional

Thursday, May 27th 2010, 1:44am

Well, he just admitted to me that the reason we had to wait until Monday was not that I forced him to wait, but that, "yo i had personal matter and was unable to come online!!!" But, at the same time, he was still complaining to other people that I forced him to wait until Monday. I guess, whatever those personal problems of his were, they must have been my fault?

He's also pulled two more numbers out of his hat that were never mentioned by anyone at any time during that week, $181 and $186.

iceman

Unregistered

Thursday, May 27th 2010, 6:56pm

i have an idea to solve this. i believe my idea is the best one and will surely show the truth.

let's toss all the versions in a hat and draw 1. that will be the official version.