You are not logged in.

Thursday, July 31st 2008, 5:27am

Why I will quit playing Tag.

Hi,

this is not written to be nasty but rather why I (and the portion of the customer base I represent) will likely quickly stop playing Tagoria. Perhaps my comments will lead to game improvements which will benefit everyone.

My understanding is that TAG is meant to be a casual brower game played on the side of other activites, such as doing homework or whatever (other than for the fanatics who like to watch clock numbers go down).

I presume that the developers intent is to both entertain people and make a bit of money as the same time.

OK, my complaint is with those clocks. What benefit is there in making people wait so long between actions (whether it is plunder/quest or attacks)?

I can understand that you need to have some sort of control to prevent excessive experience gains but for plunder/quest this is already done through action points.

Why not just do the same for attacks and forget about those clocks?

So my suggestion is to eliminate all the countdown timers and instead limit people by the number of actions they can do.

Perhaps for attacks you could give premium players 6 attack points per hour. Diamonds could allow you to buy more.

If the concern is that people will buy their way to excellence then perhaps you could control how much you could buy in any given time frame (eg. max of 12 action points per day or 6 attack points per hour).

So, coming back to my original question, how does it benefit either the developer or game-play to have all those clocks? I really dont like wasting my time this way.

Commments/criticism welcome.

falcotron

Professional

Thursday, July 31st 2008, 7:35am

I think you answered your own question in the second paragraph. TG is a game you can play in the background, while doing your homework or reading a book or watching TV or playing a turn-based strategy game or whatever you like to do with your time. You click some buttons, then go do something else for 5-15 minutes.

Without the delays, you would do a whole day's worth of play in 10 minutes, and then be done. There's nothing wrong with games like that. Long ago, I played play-by-email games where you did all of your moves for the day, sent them off, and that was it until tomorrow.

But it's a completely different kind of engagement than playing in the background over a period of a couple hours (or, for some people, throughout most of the day).

Of course not everyone likes casual browser games. But changing TG from a casual browser game into something completely different would mean losing almost all of the current fans, with no guarantee of building a new fanbase to replace them.
Top accounts for sale: TG1 (or the gear) and AI1
Already sold: HW1/2/3/4 TG1DE

Thursday, July 31st 2008, 9:53am

Thanks for the comment falcotron.

Yes, I understand you can play that way (leave it on in the background) but what I don't understand is why they MAKE me play that way.

What benefit is there in forcing people to play in that way? Waiting for clocks.

I understand my suggestions might have 'unintended consequences' but just not sure why they make us wait. What's wrong with spending 10 minutes as opposed to 2 hours? Still the same number of page clicks in terms of advertising revenue .. just spread over 10 minutes instead of 2 hours.

falcotron

Professional

Thursday, July 31st 2008, 11:34am

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with advertising revenues; it's a simple matter of game design. A game that you play in the background a few hours/day is a different kind of game than one you play for a solid 10 minutes/day.

There are also minor differences. In game balance terms, if everyone made all of their amber in 10 minutes, nobody would ever go past the end of a SF, and there would be much less cash cow hunting. In addictiveness terms, it's a lot easier for the SB to suck you in to full participation instead of background participation over your 2-hour span, than for it to suck you in to sticking around for 2 hours after you're done playing.

But the main issue is really that different games are different. Why does Civilization make me decide all of my moves for the turn at once and then click the "End Turn" button, and then make me click "End Turn" 1 times if I have nothing to do for 10 turns? Galactica lets me schedule up to 20 moves/builds/etc. in advance, and it can auto-play until something interesting happens. Europa Universalis has turns that are only one day long, and most actions take dozens or hundreds of days, and it can run through in real time until something interesting happens. Rise of Nations is completely real-time. So why should Civilization force me to play turn by turn? Why isn't every game an RTS? Because people like TBS's too, and some games work better that way.

In the same way, people like background casual browser games, and some games work better that way, and that's why this game works this way.
Top accounts for sale: TG1 (or the gear) and AI1
Already sold: HW1/2/3/4 TG1DE

Thursday, July 31st 2008, 1:14pm

Fair enough I guess.
Not all games appeal to everyone (nor should you try to make everyone happy as you will likely please none).

Thursday, April 23rd 2009, 8:24am

i have to agree with the OP.
as a premium member i have 12 action points....
120 minutes of plundering and such "in the background?"
i'm sorry but waiting takes way too long, and is completely unnecessary.
guess you should advertise this as a BG game LOL, or i probably never would have spent my money.
honestly, i've quit several games like this. I think the success of a game is dependent upon retention.
and seems to me like people are quitting left and right.
i am on the comp, and when i am on the comp i am usually playing 6 or so games all at once. usually more than that.
and there's Tagoria, minimized to the toolbar yet again....

get rid of the timers. I think we're all grown ups and can handle it. The game would work fine without them.

thanks for listening

Saturday, May 23rd 2009, 1:20am

and i'm bored

fun while it lasted, but i am finding myself more and more bored.
the plundering/questing takes way too long.
2 hours everyday just to use up my action points is ridiculous. it takes 2 hours until i can even do anything.
sorry, but i can't do it anymore. it's driving me crazy.

cheers.

Mod 213

Resigned mod

Saturday, May 23rd 2009, 1:44pm

i'm a die-hard tagoholic. i play all day and most of the night. when i get home from the bar at 4am, i first go to tag to check my pm's before going to bed.
i paint miniatures of LOTR. when the SB is silent, i paint while doing my quest. i can paint 1 or 2 colors on 6 miniatures before the quest is finished.
i'm a fan of the timers because if it. it gives me the time to combine my two favorite past-times.

krIV_rofl

Trainee

Occupation: Door To Door Euthanasia Salesperson For Gerbils and Small Cats

Monday, May 25th 2009, 9:53am

Browser games are a saturated market. GAS has created something of a community by forcing 10 minute plunder times and having an SB to encourage idle chat and intereaction among players (and with the reduction in over zealous modding, it has become better). This makes it an ideal competitor in a swamped market. While the time commitment is not ideal for everyone, it works for many.

I do understand and see your point, although so far I have not found that the wait times have really affected me as such.

There are 20 different reasons why ppl are quitting recently, I think much has to do with changes that are creating staleness in play and lack of dynamics in the upgrades.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing:
Tagoria w2 - krIV
Wolf Team, Aeria Games - Windowlicker
Combat Arms - Calliban (will return when they fix error -10)

Hiryo

Beginner

Friday, May 29th 2009, 9:57pm

Browser games are a saturated market. GAS has created something of a community by forcing 10 minute plunder times and having an SB to encourage idle chat and intereaction among players (and with the reduction in over zealous modding, it has become better). This makes it an ideal competitor in a swamped market. While the time commitment is not ideal for everyone, it works for many.

I do understand and see your point, although so far I have not found that the wait times have really affected me as such.

There are 20 different reasons why ppl are quitting recently, I think much has to do with changes that are creating staleness in play and lack of dynamics in the upgrades.
This^

thrall

Beginner

Thursday, July 2nd 2009, 12:34pm

tag was never made to be a full time game it is made to be a background game you are saying why wait but the whole idea of the game is to do it while reading or homework so the idea is...... thats right to wait 8o :sleeping:
from your fav noob thrall :thumbsup:

Sunday, July 26th 2009, 10:00pm

I love tag the way it is !!!
and the only times i complain is when im mad at not receiving a rare or a glowie, if the timers went away in tagoria you might aswell end the game completely...

Tagoria is boss so any complaints i have is jus cus im angry or im havin a bad day:P