You are not logged in.

Tuesday, July 1st 2008, 8:24pm

Rap Music: Friend Or Foe?

I personally like Eminem, Dr. Dre, and all those 'Pop Rap' icons.

I grew up HATING the rap lifestyle; i always listened to Arctic Monkeys etcetera, purely because of the violence and explicitness involved in Hip Hop music.

But rap is not all that bad, when you listen to it more. One of the reasons i listen to Eminem is because he can be angry at the media, the government etc. and express it, when also saying that just because he says something, it doesn't mean he does it.

Do you think rap is "Bad" :thumbdown:
or... "Good " :thumbup:

Tuesday, July 1st 2008, 11:37pm

Musics Music.

Every genre has it's violent lyricists.

Semaj

Beginner

Wednesday, July 2nd 2008, 4:31am

Any music at a reasonable volume.

falcotron

Professional

Friday, July 4th 2008, 1:38am

This is how old I am: My first thought is that "Ant Rap" was on Prince Charming, not Friend or Foe.

Quoted from "Adam and the Ants"

I'm standing here with my four friends
Lets start that rapping thing again:

Marco, Merrick, Terry Lee
Gary T and yours truly
In the naughty north and in the sexy south
Were all singing, I have the mouth
I have the mouth
Yes I have the mouth
And you have the mouth
And they got the mouth...
Anyway, I like a lot of rap, from all eras--Grandmaster Flash to Ultramagnetic MCs to Eminem. I also hate a lot of rap from all eras. There are an awful lot of genres for which that's true; I guess there's nothing special about rap.

Except Kool Keith; he's special.

Quoted from "Ultramagnetic MCs"

Pay close attention
I take your brain to another dimension
Hold it, mold it, shape it
You got a knife, yes i wanna scrape it
Up and down, sideways, any way i can
Be rude to you
But i'll rap and be crude to you
And eat up, toy ducks i beat up
I am the oven your brains i wanna heat up
Those poor toy ducks! But I'm sure they deserved it. And don't forget that Keith is Rap General Chief Executive, Plus Exquisitive Mandatory Capital, which is a title I've always wanted for myself. Although I'd settle for Rap Colonel Chief Financial Officer, Plus Dictionary Thesaurus Anti-Psychotics.
Top accounts for sale: TG1 (or the gear) and AI1
Already sold: HW1/2/3/4 TG1DE

Wednesday, July 9th 2008, 8:15pm

Foe.

Friday, July 11th 2008, 8:06pm

Foe.

I don't take it, prefer rock, metal, death metal, grindcore

c0rrupt0

Beginner

Saturday, July 12th 2008, 11:14pm

i loved rap until the Hot boys came out, then I saw it going down hill. That bling bling crap is pure garbage.

So used to be friend, now it is Foe.

Monday, July 14th 2008, 2:25pm

i agree with you about the Bling Bling rubbish. As i said... i listen to 'Pop Rap'. I know one line from an eminem song talking about the Bling Bling culture:
"The new kids on the block, sucj a lot of ****, boy/girl groups make me sick."

About death metal. I can tell you know that my girlfriend is a huge Screamo fan. her idol is Marylin Manson, so i kind of know what it's about. Crazy stuff, and to many people its just noise. thats what i thought. but after a while... It makes some sort of sense. ^^

Forensic

Beginner

Tuesday, July 15th 2008, 6:04am

I completely agree with your views.

I can listen to all hip-hop 'pop rappers' as you call them, and the further back you go the better it seems to get - 2pac, Biggie Smalls, Dr.Dre and Eminem - but not Snoop Dogg for some reason. He's just.... not my 'flava' lol

I hate these modern types that think that the faster they spit it out the better they are and completely forget that it is an entertainment media and if we can't hear you then there is nothing to listen to ^_^

So we are friends who have fallen out lol

Tuesday, July 15th 2008, 12:43pm

I agree. But even my dad who listens to latino music can sing the chorus to "Hail Mary" by Tupac.

Rap may have brought more violence to the streets and drugs etc. But eventually, It's a music genre.

Redeemer

Intermediate

Wednesday, July 16th 2008, 4:47am

Neither completely friend nor foe in my opinion. I didn't used to like rap. But I'd like to think that I've broadened my horizon's. Most of the newer rap is foe in my opinion. The older stuff on the other hand can be more of a friend. The stuff from the eighties, nineties, and earlier two-thousands is friend in my opinion. Personally I like the older rap more so than the newer. Didn't really like rap much until I listened to some music from the genre that was more toned down on the cursing, Run D.M.C. for instance. They're probably the only rap band that I've heard that used absolutely no curse words in their music. Shame that Jam Master Jay was killed, R.I.P. Jam Master Jay.
Holy War: W1 EN noble fighter [RO], W6 EN Mr Credit Card, W8 EN Noble [BS]
Tagoria: W1 EN The Redeemer, W3 EN Noble
AI Wars: W1 EN Nobility

Serapis

Beginner

Sunday, August 3rd 2008, 3:47pm

Friend, but only to faster paced songs... i listen to a lot of genres of music anyway incl jazz, metal, punk rock, classical, pop, rap, hardstyle, spanish, chinese... not many disagreements with any of them, every genre has its treasures ^^

Anyway, talking about individual songs is okay, even talking about artists is fine, but branding any entire genre of music as bad is just narrow-minded thinking. Which is also why i hate religion but that's another story =P

c0rrupt0

Beginner

Tuesday, August 5th 2008, 12:59pm

Anyway, talking about individual songs is okay, even talking about artists is fine, but branding any entire genre of music as bad is just narrow-minded thinking. Which is also why i hate religion but that's another story =P

This phrase sounds like you are contradicting yourself. "don't judge the whole book by only a few pages"

Friday, August 8th 2008, 6:26am

Hmm...i only Like Eminem, most other rap music kinda sucks in my oppinion. I prefer Rock, but music is music. I can listen to anything, that don't mean i like it all though :)
^^ "Nothing Is Inevitable. The Future Is Not Written In Stone" ^^

opfertöter

Beginner

Wednesday, April 22nd 2009, 7:47pm

^^ realy ?( cool
ICH BIN EIN LUSTIGER SPIELER UND BIN DOCH AGGRESSIV

DU OPFER WAS WILLST DU MACHEN ÜBERALL SIND KANACKEN
ZITAT AUS DEM LIED WAS WILLST DU MACHEN VON KIZ
also macht mich nicht an

bitte auch das kleingedruckte lesen :D :D
erreichbar in welt 5 und 1

6six6

Beginner

Friday, July 3rd 2009, 7:53pm

"friend" I like Rap Music , 3min3m is the best .. :love: but i listen more Roumanian artist .
I don't need . I don't need .I don't need . :love: